This article is to announce my second puzzle contest with prize support (previous puzzle, original test puzzle). The puzzle will be posted at 8pm GMT on 1/28/17. I will post a puzzle with multiple parts.
Whoever has the greatest amount of points by the end of the first week (2/4/17 at 8pm GMT), will win an Epic Deck Box. Whoever has the greatest amount of points at the end of the second week (2/11/17 at 8pm GMT) will receive their choice of 4 Epic/WWG playmats. In addition, the top 9 participants (not including the winner(s) of the deck box or playmat) will receive an alt art promo card, a Kickstarter exclusive Elder God/Elder Goddess card, or a Kickstarter exclusive Demigoddess/Demigod card.
At the end of the first week, I may add another part to the puzzle depending on answers received.
Below are the non-puzzle-specific rules for this specific contest. If anything is unclear please leave a comment asking for clarification, preferably before 1/28/17.
- The solution is based off of a player using a constructed Epic deck, with a few exceptions outlined below.
- Your deck must be a 2-player-constructed-legal, exactly 60 card deck although most promos are legal. Inspiration is not legal for this contest
- Decks must contain exactly 60 cards, with no more than three copies of each card.
- For each 0-cost card of an alignment, the deck must contain at least two 1-cost cards of the same alignment. (For example, a deck with seven 0-cost sage cards must have at least fourteen 1-cost sage cards.) Therefore, a maximum of 20 0-cost cards may be included.
- If you only specifically use X cards in your 60 card deck, you can just list those X cards and say “60-X irrelevant 1-cost cards.” For example, 3 Angel of Death, 3 Apocalypse, 2 Corpsetaker and 52 irrelevant 1-cost cards.
- Inspiration is not legal for this contest, but all other Kickstarter and Year 1 Promos are legal for this puzzle (Dark Prince, Hill Giant, Hunting Pterosaur, Kalnor’s Blessing, Knight of Dawn, Necromancer Apprentice, New Dawn, Ritual Sacrifice, Scrap Golem, Searing Blast, Spite, Aftershock, Time Master, Warrior Angel, Owl Familiar, Cleansing Light, Forbidden Research, Elder Greatwurm, Teleport, **Edit** Forgot to add Keira Wolf Caller**). See below for pictures.
- You may begin your first turn with:
- Any number of cards from your legal deck in your discard pile
- Up to 7 cards from your legal deck in your hand
- No champions in play
- Draw a card at the start of your turn
- Your opponent can do nothing
- They have no cards in their discard pile
- No cards in hand
- No champions in play
- Any time they may do something, they choose not to
- Both you and your opponent have infinite health
Rules for Entering
- To Enter, post a comment below with just the *answer*, not the solution. Then, send me the solution through the contact field at the bottom of the puzzle contest post. I will respond to the comment within 48 hours to verify if it is valid. If it is not valid, I will respond to the email address provided to explain why it is invalid. (If not already in some form of Google Doc/Sheets or other sharable online document, I will also add it to an unique Google Doc to make it easier to track future, improved answers.)
- When posting a new submission, create a new comment, do not reply to your original comment.
- Feel free to post general questions, cheer on participants, etc.
- The contest starts at 8pm GMT on 1/28/17
- A week after the contest starts, at 8pm GMT on 2/4/17, the highest verified solution will win an Epic Deck Box. I will also reply to each participants’ highest submission in the comments with their solutions at that time.
- New submissions (with just the *answer*, not the solution) may still be posted until 2/11/17 at 8pm GMT (sending me the solution through the contact field/updating Google Doc and telling me). On 2/11/17 at precisely 8pm GMT, submissions will be closed. After I finish reviewing any last minute entries, the participant with the current highest verified solution will win their choice of playmat. The top 9 participants to win neither the deck box nor playmat will then be given their choice of prize in order. (This will probably take some time to fully resolve.)
- Playmat, deckbox, and cards will be shipped at the conclusion of the contest (in case 1 person wins both playmat and deckbox to reduce shipping costs).
Primary Prize (Playmat)
The person with the most points at the end of the 2-week period will receive their choice of playmat pictured below. (Points are awarded to the first person to submit an answer if two participants submit the same result.)
**Edit** The winner of the mat may opt for a card instead, if desired. If they do, the mat would be available first for the week 1 winner, then down the line of 1-9 place finishers. If the 1st week winner doesn’t want the deck box, the overall winner may receive the deck box if desired. **Edit**
**Unfortunately there is very slight creasing in both of the Kickstarter playmats (more visible in the Angel of Death playmat picture). These are pictures of the actual playmats that will be sent out.**
To my unofficial/unaffiliated, nonbinding, unconfirmed knowledge:
- Kickstarter playmats can only be purchased through WWG kickstarters (maybe conventions?). I believe only 500 of each were made?
- White Wizard Games Fair 2016 could only be purchased at that game fair?
- Sea Hydra playmat has been available as a top 8 prize at tournaments, possibly purchasable at conventions too?
Secondary Prize (Deck Box)
The person with the most points at the end of the first week will receive an Epic Deck Box. **Card sleeves not included** (Points are awarded to the first person to submit an answer if two participants submit the same result.)
**Edit** The winner of the deck box may opt for a card instead, if desired. If they do, the deck box would be available first for the overall winner (if they do not want the playmat), then down the line of 1-9 place finishers. **Edit**
Tertiary Prizes (Kickstarter Exclusives or Promos)
The 9 participants with the top scores at the end of the 2-week period, who win neither the deck box nor the playmat, will receive a promo pictured below. The eligible participant with the best answer gets first choice on down to the 9th place finisher (not including the winner of each week).
- The top 2 finishers may choose between an Elder God/Elder Goddess card, a Demigoddess/Demigod card, or a promo
- The 3rd and 4th place finishers may choose a Demigoddess/Demigod card or a promo
- The 5th-9th place finishers may choose a promo
- Exactly 2 Elder God/Elder Goddess cards, 2 Demigoddess/Demigod cards, and 5 promos will be awarded
- Therefore, if a higher reward tier participant does not choose an Elder God/Elder Goddess, a lower reward tier participant will.
- Similarly, if a higher reward tier participant chooses a lower reward tier item, that choice will count towards the prize distribution. For example, if 1st and 2nd place both choose a Demigoddess/Demigod card, the 3rd and 4th place finishers may only choose from Elder God/Elder Goddess and promos.
- If anyone from top 1-9 decline the reward, I will give the chance to the next eligible participant (if any remain)
The sleeved promo card will be sent via a standard envelope. I take no responsibility if they are damaged in transit.