I recently posted an absurd Epic recycling scenario in my Epic Recycle Interactions article. This then led to a reader posting another crazy scenario which was awesome. So, based on vjjft’s recommendation, I am going to be posting more puzzle challenges on the blog going forward. Depending on participation, I might put up a Sea Hydra play mat as a reward.
On the first turn of a 2-player standard game, you must put Drinker of Blood into play. Assuming your opponent plays nothing:
- What is the max amount of damage you can do in one turn?
- What is the max amount of health you can gain in one turn?
- What is the biggest health difference that can be achieved in one turn?
Since this is the first turn of the game, you start with 5 cards in hand and neither player has any cards in their discard piles. It is unlikely that all 3 questions will have the same solution.
Comment below with just the numbers you reached. I’ll wait to say my numbers until Saturday night, 6/25/16. In one week, on 6/30/16, everyone should post their comment with their answers.
- 21 difference
– Play 3 Fire Shamans.
– Play Surprise Attack, draw Drinker of Blood, put Drinker of Blood into play, deal 9 damage with the Fire Shamans.
– Play Flash Fire deal 2 damage to your opponent, yourself (-2), and all champions. 3 Fire Shamans break causing 3 Drinker of Blood triggers, deal 6 to your opponent and gain 6 health.
Greylag (2 winning solutions), Ydnad (1 winning solution)
– Ydnad’s 71 damage submitted on June 29, 6:18pm was the first submission of the highest damage, result confirmed
– Greylag’s 43(45) health submitted on June 30, 5:01pm(July 1, 11:56am) was the highest health gain, result confirmed
– Greylag’s 98 difference submitted on June 30, 4:55pm was the greatest difference, result confirmed (you forgot to attack with the second pegasus in the difference calculation you posted, hence 98 not 94)
– No solution was posted for Josiah Fiscus’s 77 damage solution, but it was posted on June 27, 1:18pm
– Vjjft’s solutions involved a misuse of Faithful Pegasus, but even deducting that damage, the damage solution was only 6 below the winning solution
The next puzzle will be posted on Monday 7/18. The plan is to post it at 7pm CDT, but I am open to a time adjustment. There will be a few changes to the format that I will discuss at that time. Overall winner of that puzzle will receive the Sea Hydra play mat. (article updated with this information)
**Update** Derek Best Answers
My spam filter caught Derek’s answers, and I didn’t see them until today. They were submitted after the deadline (not including the spam delay) so Greylag and Ydnad are still technically the winners, but…
– Derek’s 83 damage submitted on July 1, 6:05pm was the highest damage submitted, result confirmed
– Derek’s 55 health submitted on July 1, 6:05pm was the highest health gain submitted, result confirmed
– Derke’s 119 difference submitted on July 1, 6:05pm was the greatest difference submitted, result confirmed
New Dawn put Derek over the edge without actually breaking any of the puzzle rules. I will have to specifically mention whether or not I’ll allow that in the next puzzle if applicable. (I probably will allow it.)